Last updated: April 1, 2020
Each year, MasteryPrep helps over 1,000 schools and districts improve the outcomes of 125,000+ students. It is our hope that by partnering with you we can provide your students the brighter future that higher test scores bring. MasteryPrep’s main focus is on helping schools succeed. We are aware that it is not a level playing field for the schools that serve underperforming students; we want to change that. MasteryPrep is committed to student growth and success. We are similarly committed to ensuring that our customers truly understand how we store and collect the information gathered while our products are in use. We have prepared this document with complete transparency.
We use the information we collect from school administrators, teachers, and students to provide products to our school district and grant program customers and to inform and improve both instruction and our products. We do not use personal information for any other purpose.
The Information We Collect
In providing our products, we may collect the following:
- Information submitted by a school administrator or teacher about himself/herself (i.e. first and last name, email address, username, and password.
- Information submitted by a school administrator or teacher about the students in a school or classroom (i.e. first and last names, student ID numbers, usernames and passwords, gender and other demographic information, learning level, and performance data). Sometimes our customer provides us with or permits us to access a school or school district database from which we retrieve this information. We may combine information about a student with information about his or her school.
- Information and content submitted by a student using our products (i.e. responses to questions, assessments, and assignments).
- Information from and about the user’s device (i.e. mobile device type, browser type and version, operating system name and version, IP address, and referring URL). We collect this information automatically when a user accesses our services to help us better understand usage, diagnose problems, administer our products, and provide support.
- Information collected through pixel tags or other similar technologies to track how a user navigates through our products so that we can understand what links are clicked, what content is accessed, and for how long it is accessed.
How We Use and Disclose the Information We Collect
In addition to the uses described above, and subject to any restrictions imposed by applicable law or our agreement with our customer, we may use and disclose the information we collect:
- To permit our customers and their authorized users (i.e., administrators and teachers) to tailor and optimize the use of our products to the needs of a school, classroom, or student.
- To permit school administrators and teachers to review students’ work, monitor students’ performance and progress, and otherwise support instruction.
- To offer students immediate feedback and continuous support, suggest other content or activities, help them track their own progress and maintain a file of their work, and modify instruction to meet their needs.
- To personalize user experience (i.e. displaying his or her name on the user dashboard).
- To understand how our products are accessed and used and how they perform so that we may improve upon our products and services. We also develop analytics studies that contain only aggregate anonymous information.
- To provide our school and school district customers with various types of reports (i.e. performance and progress of a school district, school, classroom, and/or student).
- To communicate with administrators and teachers.
- To diagnose problems, troubleshoot issues, and provide maintenance and support.
We may use and disclose nonpersonal information collected from the users of our products for any reason, subject to any restrictions imposed by applicable law or our agreement with our customer. We do not, however, disclose any personal information about our users to any third party, except:
- As directed by our school district customer.
- To our third-party service providers, who provide services such as website hosting and customer service.
- To the extent we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with legal process or to respond to requests from government authorities.
- To the extent we believe necessary or appropriate to protect our rights, safety, or property and/or that of our affiliates, our customers, or our users.
Third Party Services
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect personal information within our organization from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, loss, or modification.
The law may permit students and their parents/guardians to access their own information. If you would like to seek such access, please contact your school district.
Inquiries regarding data collection or privacy practices for such products or sites should be directed to the appropriate MasteryPrep employee using the email address provided: [email protected]